Finds position of string in text, case-sensitive. Returns the position at which a string is first found within text.
FIND(search_for, text, [start_at])
- search_for - The string you want to search for.
- text - The text containing the string.
- start_at - [OPTIONAL] Specifies the character at which to start the search.
FIND("sheet","Spreadsheet.com") returns 7 - the position of search_for string in the text .
FIND("at",C5,2) searches for the string "at" in the cell C5. It begins the search from character 2.
- FIND is case-sensitive, meaning that uppercase and lowercase letters matter. For example, "abc" will not match "ABC". To ignore case, use the SEARCH function.
- FIND always returns the number of characters from the start of text , irrespective of the start_at number specified.
- If search_for is not found, the #VALUE! error value is returned.
- If start_at is omitted, it is assumed to be 1.