The average of cells that meet a given criteria. The function averages all of its arguments that meet the given criteria.
AVERAGEIF(range, criteria, [average of])
- range - The cells to which the criteria is applied.
- criteria - The pattern or test to apply to the range.
- average_of - [OPTIONAL] The range to average.
AVERAGEIF(A1:A25, ">50") returns the average of those numbers in the range that are greater than 50.
- Cells in range and average_of that contain TRUE or FALSE are ignored.
- Ensure that criteria is encloses in quotation marks.
- The range and average_of need not be of the same size and shape. The actual cells that are averaged are determined by using the top, left cell in average_of as the beginning cell, and then including cells that correspond in size and shape to range. For example:
- If range is A1:A25 and average_of is B1:B20, the cells that will be averaged are: B1:B25
- If range is A1:B25 and average_of is B1:B20, the cells that will be averaged are: B1:C25
- criteria can contain wildcard characters. Currently, the use of asterisk (*) is supported.
- An asterisk matches any sequence of characters.
- To match an actual asterisk, type a tilde (~) before the character. For example: (~*).