Estimates variance based on a sample, ignoring logical values and text.
VAR.S(value1, [value2, ...])
- value1 - Value or range representing a sample of a population.
- value2, .. - [OPTIONAL] Additional numerical values or ranges to calculate for the variance.
VAR.S(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) returns a value of 9.1666
VAR.S(A2:A6) returns the variance of the numbers in cells A2 through A6, where the values represent only a sample of all the data. VAR.S returns a different result than VAR.P, which treats the range of data as the entire population.
- A minimum of two values must be supplied as value arguments. Else, VAR.S will return an error.
- VAR.S will ignore any cells that include text and logical values. To calculate variance while interpreting text values as 0, use VARA
- VAR.S calculates variance for a sample. To calculate variance for an entire population, use VAR.P.